Ensemble75 Concerto Competition
Updated December 7, 2017
Click here for current Ensemble75 Concerto Competition repertoire list (updated 2/2/2018)
Application period is currently closed
Since its inception, Ensemble75 has provided seven seasons of concerts to the DFW Metroplex, each consisting of innovative programming performed by some of the world’s most promising musicians. Performers featured on Ensemble75’s concerts have gone on to study at music schools such as the New England Conservatory and Juilliard, as well as obtaining posts in some of the important institutions around the world, such as the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, the Hong Kong Philharmonic, and the Berlin Philharmonic.
Following the standards of innovation and quality of performance established during our tenure, Ensemble75’s concerto competition seeks to promote some of the region’s premier pre-college musical artists and to present them with a competition opportunity that reflects the experience of the elite international competitions offered to professional musicians. The Cézanne Quartet (Peak Fellowship Ensemble-in-Residence at SMU Meadows School of the Arts 2015-2017) will accompany six finalists in a live concert setting, in front of a competition jury consisting of musicians who have distinguished themselves in their field.
Nathan Olson - Co-Concertmaster, Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Stephen Ahearn - Clarinet, Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Mikhail Berestnev - Concert Pianist
E75 Concerto Competition Rules and Guidelines
1) Deadline for application and preliminary recording is Saturday, February 10th, 2018.
2) Applicants must not have had their 19th birthday on or before March 1, 2018.
3) The concerto should be chosen from the official list provided. Additions to the Ensemble75 Concerto Competition repertoire list will be made if the applicant can provide proof (score, parts, etc) that the piece can be performed with a string quartet accompaniment.
4) Each applicant must include an entry fee of $50 and provide a link to an unlisted YouTube video of their own performance of one movement of a concerto with accompaniment. The movement performed must be the same for all rounds. Video links and completed application forms should be emailed to email@example.com
5) Up to 15 semi-finalists will be selected from all applicants and will be notified via e-mail and phone on the evening of February 10th, 2018. Semi-finalists will perform one movement of the concerto with piano accompaniment on Saturday, February 24th, 2018 at Highland Park Presbyterian Church (Choir Room).
6) Up to 6 finalists will be chosen by the jury to perform in the Finals Concert accompanied the Cézanne Quartet at the Bank of America Theatre at the Eisemann Center at 3:00PM on Saturday, March 3, 2018. Rehearsals for the finals will be held on Friday, March 2, 2018 off-site.
7) Winners will be announced following the concert. Contestants must be present at the time of announcement to receive awards and prize money.